Degree Granting Department
C. Victor Fung, Ph.D.
John C. Carmichael, Ph.D.
Carlos X. Rodriguez, Ph.D.
David A. Williams, Ph.D.
music, music education, festival ratings, competition, social psychology
This descriptive correlational study examined the relationship between high school band directors' teaching style and personality and their ratings in marching and concert band festivals using the Five-Factor Model of personality and Gumm's Music Teaching Style Inventory. The sample (N=176) consisted of 46% of all high school band directors in Florida. Criterion variables included marching and concert festival ratings, state concert band ratings, Florida Marching Band Coalition marching competition scores, frequency of attendance of these last two events, and the balance between marching and concert band. Predictor variables included thirty personality facets and eight teaching styles. Four demographic variables included gender, experience, academic degree, and primary instrument.
One predictor, Time Efficiency, stood out as having particularly strong correlations with all of criterion variables. Regression models produced the following findings: 23% of the variation in concert band ratings can be explained from Time Efficiency, Immoderation, Music Concept Learning Assertiveness, and Nonverbal Motivation; 22% of the variation in marching band scores can be explained by Time Efficiency, Music Concept Learning, Imagination, Modesty, Cheerfulness, and Anxiety; 20% of the variation in participation in state Florida Bandmasters Association concert band festival participation can be explained by Time Efficiency, Positive Learning Environment, Immoderation, Music Concept Learning, Group Dynamic, and Assertive Teaching, and 11% of the variation in FMBC competitive marching band event attendance can be explained by Time Efficiency, Nonverbal Motivation, Dutifulness, and Modesty. Most subjects (84.3%) were balanced, while the remaining 15.7% were marching oriented. There was no significant difference in marching ratings between groups, although balanced subjects scored significantly higher in concert band and attended significantly fewer marching competitions. A discriminant function selected four predictor variables with a significant effect: Assertiveness, Immoderation, Adventurousness, and Emotion (Wilks' λ = .84, χ2 = 23.42, df = 4, p less than .001) which was able to successfully predict group membership 72.3% of the time.
Recommendations include emphasizing the concert band as the core and playing concert music all year. Directors may benefit from being cognizant of their personalities and teaching styles which may enable them to modify their behavior and practices when appropriate to be more effective teachers.
Scholar Commons Citation
Groulx, Timothy J., "An Examination of the Influence of Band Director Teaching Style and Personality on Ratings at Concert and Marching Band Events" (2010). USF Tampa Graduate Theses and Dissertations.