Document Type


Publication Date



activities of daily living, balance, endurance, flexibility, lower-limb amputation, microprocessor prosthetic knee, physical assessment, physical therapy, rehabilitation, strength

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)


Microprocessor prosthetic knees (MPKs) have advanced technologically, offering new features to decrease impairment and activity limitations for persons with transfemoral amputation (TFA). The Genium knee is functionally untested, and functional differences between it and intact knees are unknown. This study sought to determine whether Genium use improves functional performance compared with the C-Leg. A randomized experimental crossover design was used, with a cross-section of five nonamputee controls for comparison to nor­mal. Twenty community-ambulating persons with TFA were trained and tested for accommodation with study components. All subjects (n = 25) were assessed using the Continuous-Scale Physical Functional Performance-10 (CS-PFP10) assessment. Subjects with TFA used both MPK systems. Genium use improved upper-body flexibility, balance, and endurance domain scores (7.0%–8.4%, p < / = 0.05) compared with the C-Leg. Only in the endurance domain did Genium users score sig­nificantly lower than nonamputees (22.4%, p = 0.05). Comparing the C-Leg with nonamputees, CS-PFP10 total (2.0%–24.4%, p = 0.03) and all domains except upper-body strength were lower than nonamputees (–13.4% to –28.9%, p < / = 0.05). Nonetheless, regardless of knee condition, subjects with TFAs did not equal or surpass nonamputees in any functional domain, suggesting room for improvements in TFA functional performance.

Was this content written or created while at USF?


Citation / Publisher Attribution

Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, v. 53, no. 6, p. 753-766