

Fall 9-11-2014

Appropriations and Audits Meeting Minutes 09-11-2014

Senate Committee on Appropriations and Audits

Follow this and additional works at: https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/sg_leg_pubs



Part of the [Higher Education Commons](#), and the [Higher Education Administration Commons](#)

Scholar Commons Citation

Senate Committee on Appropriations and Audits, "Appropriations and Audits Meeting Minutes 09-11-2014" (2014). *Legislative Branch Publications*. 935.
https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/sg_leg_pubs/935

This Senate Committee Meeting Minutes is brought to you for free and open access by the Student Government at Digital Commons @ University of South Florida. It has been accepted for inclusion in Legislative Branch Publications by an authorized administrator of Digital Commons @ University of South Florida. For more information, please contact digitalcommons@usf.edu.



University of South Florida
Student Government Fifty-Fifth Student Senate

Committee on Appropriations and Audits
FALL SESSION
September 11th, 2014

Call to Order by Chairman Chris Johnson at 11:05 A.M.

First Roll Call

Present: Chris Johnson, Anika Hasan, Samuel Shiflett, Briana Ramirez, Aladdin Hiba, Abdool Aziz

Gallery: ???, Evan Lieb, Andy Rodriguez, Masha Galchenko, Alex Johnson

Absent: Nicholas Gigante

C. Johnson: At 11:05 on September 11th, we're going to go ahead and get started. First item on the agenda is a roll call. I am present, Chris Johnson. Vice Chairman Hasan?

A. Hasan: Here.

C. Johnson: Senator Shiflett?

Shiflett: Here.

C. Johnson: Senator Ramirez?

Ramirez: Here.

C. Johnson: Senator Gigante? Right now he's absent. Senator Hiba?

Hiba: Here, present.

C. Johnson: And Pro Tempore Aziz?

Aziz: Here.

C. Johnson: With that, we have met quorum. Moving into the next thing.

Additions/Deletions:

C. Johnson: Are there any additions or deletions that anyone wants to make to the agenda? No? Seeing none, we're moving into the next thing. Approval of the minutes. I haven't sent out minutes from (inaudible) yet so we can't approve them, so—Senator Hiba?

Hiba: I motion to postpone minutes.

C. Johnson: Is there any objection to postponing the minutes? Seeing none, moving to the next thing. There's open forum.

Open Forum:

C. Johnson: Just really quickly, Brandon Hartman is having a tent day on Wednesday, September 17th, that's next week, and this says it's from 9:30 to 11:30. I'm sorry, 9:30 to 1:30. Go ahead and pass it around and sign it if you can show up. If you can't, that's okay, he just wanted you to look at it already.

Shiflett: Just a reminder that if you go, you get positive points, so...

C. Johnson: Positive points are good.

Aziz: There's going to be pizza, too.

C. Johnson: Pizza's also good. Positive points and pizza.

Ramirez: Just these two times you have to be there? Or between those two times?

Aziz: Between. Because it starts at 9:30, ends at 1:30.

A. Hasan: I have a class at 2, so I could be there.

Aziz: Let's say you can make a half an hour, you show up for half an hour between that block that they're there.

Ramirez: Okay.

C. Johnson: Anything else for open forum?

New Business:

C. Johnson: Also I just wanted to say really quickly, going forward with these Interim Budget requests today, Senate on Tuesday we almost didn't meet quorum and as a result, everyone was really, really worried and anxious about getting out. So instead of taking the time they usually did, I kind of sped through the process of the fiscal legislation presentation, and it worked a lot better in my opinion. So today we're not going to go as fast as I'd like to, but basically in the future I really want you guys to look at each of the requests that we send out. I'm going to try to send out the agendas by the weekend so that you have all the weekend up until next Thursday to look at these requests and then that way you can have questions prepared for Committee (inaudible) so we can get through a lot more in a lot less time. Okay? That being said, we do have two guests in the room. If you would please state your name?

???: (inaudible) Manager.

Lieb: And Evan Lieb, Graduate Advisor and (inaudible).

C. Johnson: Thank you very much for being here today. First off—I'm sorry, Andy also present today. Go Bulls, Andy. So first off, you know, I'm... Today's September 11th and I just want to take a moment of silence and have that registered on the minutes in observance.

Okay, thank you very much. I had a really close family friend pass away on September 11th, so every year I try to observe it in some way. This is the first time I've been able to be a chair of a meeting during the time, so I'm glad that we could do that. Thank you very much, guys. Presentation of auditing form—I wanted to go ahead and pass around an auditing form. We have a couple things. This right here—I'm going to pass this one around for USF Speak—this is a non-annexed funded event that USF Speak put on so we can't really use the results of this audit. I just kind of wanted to show you how it works. This actually is another one right here also for Career Services. This is not... This again is not an auditable event. The point is to kind of get some experience in how the process works, and then show it to you guys. The whole idea of this is that you go to the event, you make observations of what's going on, you report your observations on this form and then that's used as the standard by which we can judge an organization during ASRC for the auditing purposes. As you can see on the form, there's some issues I have with it. You know, I sat down after making my observations, I couldn't really—maybe it was just an experience—I couldn't really ascertain

much useful information from the forms and from just watching it, so I talked to the organization leaders and I got their opinions and stuff like that. And I apologize for the bad handwriting, I didn't really have something good to write on—but the point is that, you know, part of one of the things that we're going to be doing in the next couple weeks is working on an auditing reform. We had a preliminary meeting on, I guess it was Tuesday—Tuesday—yeah, it was on Tuesday. The whole idea of it was we sat down and said hey, we should probably go ahead and call (inaudible) for this. If you guys have any questions about that, we can talk about it, but really I really want you guys to be involved in this because you're all new Senators, right? You guys—all four of you are new Senators, which means you have a lot more objective and a lot more of an interest keeping the system the way it is, you know? You have a better opportunity than others to see the flaws that we have in our system, I feel like. And I really want you to be involved to get the chance. That being said, I don't know if it's going to be appointed positions or if it's going to be elected positions, but either way, it's—we have a really big chance to change the way Student Government runs as far as the culture of the Student Government. And I really want you guys to take it seriously. So go ahead and look at those. If you have any questions, we can talk about it later on. But the next thing—also, right here, I'm sorry—also right here, I'm going to go ahead and just pass out blank auditing forms. What I want to do over the next week, and I'm going to send everyone an e-mail with a calendar of events, but I want everyone to go out to one event and audit it, just to kind of get a taste of it. So the idea of this is that—just go ahead and take one—the idea of this is that everyone's going to have a little bit of experience before we really sit down and have a conversation about it. And then in the Senate, with—if Andy does call and (inaudible)—then people can speak up that have (inaudible) concern. So, go ahead and keep one of those forms if you think you might be able to...if you have some extra free time this week and you want to go to do two, the more opinions the better... So go ahead and keep an extra one. Pro Tempore Aziz?

Aziz: Do you have the Google Doc version of this? The digital ones for (inaudible)? For people who don't like paper?

C. Johnson: Yes, it's... I can send those out to them. No, I hear you. If you guys don't want to use the paper form, there is a Google Doc form that's smaller and has lots of questions and stuff like that on it. So far, part of the reason—part of the big issue with that, this, in my opinion, is that it's harder to have an objective standard if you have two different forms. Because you're asking different

questions. So for my... I would prefer if you guys did a written document, but I will go ahead and send out—with the calendar—the Google Doc link so you guys can do Google Doc also.

Aziz: Are you able to change the Google Doc to put the stuff that you want?

C. Johnson: I don't know how to, I haven't even looked at it. I just...

Aziz: Or you could make a fresh one, with all the things you want, so they're the same.

???: I can help you with that.

C. Johnson: Okay.

???: When are you sending out the e-mail?

C. Johnson: I prefer to send it out before the weekend. So (inaudible) tomorrow.

???: Before the weekend? Okay, so we'll find a time today we can sit down with it.

C. Johnson: Okay. So with that, the next item on the agenda—does anyone have any questions, by the way, about the adhoc or anything like that, or why this might be a good idea, or why you might not want to do this? Anything like that at all? No? Cool. Awesome. So moving right on down the line, this is good, the new Interim Budget requests. So earlier in the week, I sent out an e-mail to, I believe, all four of you, asking if you would take a look at some of these Interim Budget requests that we have. It's—Senator Ramirez, did you get one of those? Did you get an e-mail?

Ramirez: Yeah, I did.

C. Johnson: Okay. And then the other three of you, you also got it? I know Anika's been working a lot in the office, so she's definitely been helping out. But really, what I want to do is start with the (inaudible). So let's talk about this. Who—did one of you receive the (inaudible)? Or is it just you and I that worked on it? (inaudible)

Hiba: It may be...me.

C. Johnson: That was you?

Hiba: Mm-hmm.

C. Johnson: Okay. So, before we get even—yes, and here's your... Here you go. You wrote all this here. So, go ahead—what was your impression of this Interim Budget request? When you were looking through it?

Hiba: This was the second request. The first one was... We don't talk about it. The first one is included on the second one. But they never asked for silverware in their materials allocation. They just put in an allocation. They asked for \$50.00 and 45 and 40. But they never asked for silverware specifically. So, I ended up not allocating them any silverware, or any materials budget at all, because that's—they never asked for anything specific. They do ask for silverware for one of their events. They ask for \$45.00. We could have allocated 50; they didn't ask for 50. They say materials would cover plates, cups, decorations, and napkins.

Rodriguez: Which is, at least, more specific.

Hiba: They have a banquet after that, so it's in the Spring. They ask for food, for money for food, 50 students attending, \$3.00 a head. They asked for 150. That's well within—that's within our standards. They asked for materials, for silverware, (inaudible) 45 the previous time, and I took that as close to 50 so the second time I allocated 25.

C. Johnson: Okay.

Hiba: They asked for \$60.00, but they didn't say what else they wanted with it, so...

C. Johnson: How about this—for each of the events, since you did make notes about this, if you don't mind—how much would you recommend... Well, we can't obviously, we can't zero fund this one and this one here...

A. Hasan: We can't do that.

C. Johnson: And this, and this.

A. Hasan: And this.

C. Johnson: But for the October...

A. Hasan: It says it's a general body meeting.

Shiflett: I think that's the old one.

C. Johnson: This is an old one?

Hiba: Yeah.

C. Johnson: This one's for a fourth—is that—(inaudible, clicking).

Aziz: I think it's the same.

C. Johnson: Let's see.

Hiba: Can I see yours?

Shiflett: Here, September 4th, I have it dated.

A. Hasan: This is for next year, this is...

Shiflett: This is exactly (inaudible)...

C. Johnson: All right, let's do this.

(inaudible, whispering)

Shiflett: They're in chronological order.

C. Johnson: How do I save this?

(inaudible, clicking, rummaging)

Ramirez: No, the reason why you couldn't save it, you had an exclamation mark on the end. In Excel it won't let you do any...

C. Johnson: Well, I'm saying if I just put a 1 here, so I'm just going to save it on the Desktop and then send myself an e-mail later on. But—that will be right there. Let me go ahead and close this one. (inaudible, clicking) Okay, so. I'm sorry, so, anyways. Please, Hiba—for the October 1st event.

Hiba: They originally had, they were asking—they were saying 25 students would attend most of their events. They changed almost all of them to 50. They had others at 75 though, earlier, so I guess they averaged it out. I'm not sure how they worked that out.

C. Johnson: Well, it'd probably be smarter to just allocate for the lesser number.

Hiba: 25?

C. Johnson: Because that seems like they just kind of arbitrarily inflated it, then.

Hiba: Can you pull up the older version, then? Because they might be different dates, and I didn't cross-compare them.

C. Johnson: Well, look, when they submitted their first budget, they submitted all general body meetings, and I told them that we can't allocate for anything. So, if you want—so figure out what dates you want to actually have events on and resubmit that. As far as I'm concerned, the first budget is nil. But if they're saying that they expect to bring in more people and they don't really have a basis for it, because they're a new organization, then to me they're just inflated numbers. So let's just go ahead and allocate as though it's less people but still take these events as the (inaudible) that they're trying to submit. Is there an issue with doing that? No?

Hiba: Because then there's...

Aziz: Have you done that for all the orgs, though? Have we gone off the budget sheet, or the what?

A. Hasan: I feel like 50 people, Marshall Center, food, it would be impossible. So I can understand that. Maybe they'll increase the numbers, but if they can actually bring that amount of people, I think it's fine. It's just 50.

C. Johnson: Okay. Do you agree?

Shiflett: Yeah, I mean... I think if for every other student organization, we've gone based off of the most up to date request, then that's what we should continue doing.

C. Johnson: Okay. We'll go with that.

Hiba: All right. They had 50 people attending, that's \$2.00 a head, \$100.00 for food, that's within our standards.

C. Johnson: Did you do \$2.00 a head for every single event unless it was a banquet?

Hiba: Except for banquets, yes.

C. Johnson: Okay, so I'm just going to go put that in right now, then. There's not a single event that you felt was a bad idea to do that with?

Hiba: Not that I can remember, no.

C. Johnson: Well, that's fine. We're going to be looking through them for each material cost, but I'll just put this in now so I don't forget.

Ramirez: Wait, so—I guess—I have a question.

C. Johnson: Please.

Ramirez: They didn't ask for money for food, now we're just giving it to them?

Rodriguez: It's kind of there. If you look at the line that says request...

Ramirez: Yeah?

Rodriguez: That's how much money they've asked for food.

Ramirez: Oh, okay.

Rodriguez: And then the standard for this Committee as of right now is, it's \$2.00 a head per person, \$2.00 per person, per event.

Ramirez: Oh, okay.

Rodriguez: So that's why they're funding \$100.00 for each of them except the banquet, because the banquets you do \$3.00 a head.

C. Johnson: So you don't have to talk about food for the rest of the events, Hiba, but as far as materials go...

Hiba: Looking through, there's none of the food that I didn't fund completely, so yeah that's...

C. Johnson: Awesome.

Aziz: Question—so why—when you met with them the second time, did they tell you what the materials are going to be?

C. Johnson: When we met with them the first time—we only met with them one time.

Aziz: Oh.

C. Johnson: And then we said you're going to need to resubmit this. So as far as materials go, from my understanding, all they really needed were a couple of basically promotional materials. They didn't really need any physical—no tools, no unique things, anything like that. But... So, but, I'm sorry, Hiba, please continue?

Hiba: I zero funded the materials for—(inaudible) for that event in particular. The next event, they also didn't ask for any materials in specific, so I didn't give them any. The next event, I also didn't give them any money for materials. The next event, November 5—yeah, also \$0 for materials. And the next event kind of cuts off, so I wasn't able to read the entire description, but based on the other descriptions, I didn't think that they would be asking for any materials in specific.

Rodriguez: So (inaudible) the benefits... Yeah, it's just describing the event. They're not asking for...

C. Johnson: It does say "will have guest speakers."

Hiba: But it doesn't say the money for the guest speakers.

Rodriguez: That's true.

C. Johnson: So you also zero funded this, correct?

Hiba: Yes. The next event, they jumped back to 50 for materials, but they didn't say why, and they didn't ask for anything in specific for materials either, so also 0. The next event, they say materials would cover plates, cups, decorations, napkins, etcetera—

C. Johnson: Is this for Spring 2015?

Hiba: Spring for 2015. It's underneath, in allocation notes.

C. Johnson: Okay.

Hiba: So I gave them \$35.00 instead of 45. I could have given them 50, but they didn't ask for 50. The next one, they... Those are—the allocation notes are for us to put in?

C. Johnson: Yeah, if we feel like there's a special reason why, so.

Hiba: All right. The next event is a banquet, so they asked for \$3.00 a head, 50 people attending. They asked for \$60.00 for materials. They didn't ask for anything except for decorations, plates, utensils, etcetera. So I gave them the \$25.00 for silverware. (inaudible) shirts here, they didn't put in a date for the event. They just asked—it's not an event, they're saying we can—our standards say we can give them \$5.00 a shirt for 100 shirts. And so that's exactly what they're asking for. I did not fund them for pens, because the pens I found outrageously priced and also unnecessary. So I gave them \$500.00 for the shirts for this.

C. Johnson: And we don't usually fund pens. Okay. Is there any objection to just doing 500, then?

Aziz: That's the max, isn't it?

Shiflett: That's the max.

C. Johnson: Yeah, that's the max. Oh, I'm sorry, and Masha Galchenko from the Business Office just came in, too.

A. Hasan: So is there—so they're asking for 100 shirts on the basis of...what (inaudible)?

C. Johnson: On the basis of any member—they think that they'll need at least 100 shirts for all their members and anyone who shows up to their events throughout the year.

A. Hasan: Okay.

C. Johnson: So it's like 100 shirts as a flat "We're going to expend these by the end of the fiscal year."

A. Hasan: Okay.

C. Johnson: Cool? That's it?

Hiba: Mm-hmm.

C. Johnson: Okay, so then going back to the events, Hiba, do you have any other—any other things you wanted to say about this budget request?

Hiba: No, that's it.

C. Johnson: All right. Are there any objections to allocating, er, to recommending that we allocate \$1,505 to the Senate? \$1,505.20? Seeing none, I'll go ahead and save this. Next on the agenda is American But Cultured Desis—did anyone talk to, did anyone get this organization? Okay, then I'm going to talk to them. The American But Cultured Desis is an organization that's basically like... It's an American-Indian organization. It's pretty cool. It's funding an ABC American, but (inaudible), is like a slang, a derogatory term used to Indian-Americans over in India so American But Cultured is something—it's just like a play on the vocabulary. I don't get it, but it's funny. But they're asking for... They didn't really do a good job as far as asking for money, but the number of students attending—I recommend that we just allocate full for that. And for materials, they're asking for utensils. So just on that alone, I think we should allocate their max, 20, since they're doing that. And I think honestly, we should go ahead and treat that as the 20 into the 50, so if they ask for 50 at a later point, because it's just they asked for so little at this point. This right here—Garba is a cool religious holiday and they want to do some special celebration for it. And actually, say, we actually can't fund this one...

A. Hasan: Or this one.

Hiba: Why... It's still in the future, (inaudible)...

C. Johnson: On the 21st?

A. Hasan: I don't think you...

C. Johnson: The Senate will meet next on the—no, there's no way we—there's no way to allocate any money for it.

A. Hasan: When is the next—can this go to the next Senate?

C. Johnson: It could, but the—for the Business Office to process the request, it would take, you know, at least a business week, so. It's just—it's not feasible. Diwali—Andy?

Rodriguez: This is a question for Masha. Once a bill is passed through Senate and you received it, how long does it typically take for a student organization to be able to use the funds?

Galchenko: They can use the funds right away, but they have to submit their request in 6 to 7 business days prior to the event taking place.

Rodriguez: Okay, so if an event's happening on the 21st, and they'll be going through the Senate on the 16th, that's not—okay, that won't work.

Hiba: No.

C. Johnson: Do they have to have the funds for request to use the funds?

Galchenko: Yes.

C. Johnson: I mean, could they—if we pass the bill, can they theoretically request money for the event today, so it has to be passed first? Okay. I'll write that down, actually.

(writing, inaudible whispers)

Ramirez: So when it changes, it just...

Lieb: When was this budget request received?

C. Johnson: This was submitted—this was received right after the last Senate of the summer term.

Lieb: Okay.

C. Johnson: So, it's been on the docket for this Committee and we are just now getting to it. So Diwali—they want to have catering from an Indian restaurant for this event. You know, I don't think we're allowed to give money for catering, are we? Are we allowed to give money for catering?

Aziz: I mean, all the food—all the food is catering.

Rodriguez: All the food is catering.

C. Johnson: But is—doesn't it have to be a special Marshall vendor or something like that?

Aziz: I mean, all the food that all orgs request is some sort of catering request, because if...

(inaudible).

C. Johnson: Yeah, yeah, they're not actually making the food, right. But it doesn't—they're asking for, they're asking for an abnormal amount of food. Over three times—over \$3.00 per head. Which means the food is higher quality, in my estimation, they're asking for something that would, that's not their run of the mill kind of (inaudible) something like that.

Aziz: They're asking ethnic food from an Indian restaurant, so...

A. Hasan: Can we make an exception and give them 3 for this?

Aziz: Usually it's 2 ½ for ethnic food.

A. Hasan: Okay.

C. Johnson: Because it's more expensive.

Aziz: Yeah, but...

C. Johnson: Hiba?

Hiba: I'm remembering that student organizations aren't only supposed to use our funds for buying things they need, there are other sources of money as well. And we can—I mean, our standards are 2, we could give them maybe 2 ½, but—I don't think we should allocate all the food that they're asking for.

C. Johnson: I just feel like we should try to stick to one standard. I'm already kind of uneasy about the discrepancy between what we fund and what we say we'll fund, so I'd rather just do \$2.00 a head.

A. Hasan: We had a similar problem during Summer—do you remember how we funded that organization?

C. Johnson: Which organization?

A. Hasan: I think it was the Asian organization. They asked for cultural—Vietnamese food.

C. Johnson: The Vietnamese? Yeah.

A. Hasan: We gave them 3. Or 2.

C. Johnson: We gave them 2 for everything and 3 for banquet. The VSA. Briana?

Ramirez: So, I mean, I guess, also—what else are they asking for? Or is those two the only thing? Because if they're asking for more things, then we have to give them money for everything else, so maybe it's not a good idea that we allocate them that money.

C. Johnson: Well, part of it is they're asking for—they're asking \$50.00 for utensils, which basically that would cover that. But then the other thing is that they are asking for fruit for religious offering, which—I mean—on one hand, the Chocolatiers shouldn't get chocolate as a material because it's something you actually eat, but this fruit they're being offered, they're offering. Andy?

Rodriguez: I remember—this is a question for Aziz. I remember in last year's Senate, one of the big discussion topics was kosher food, because it's more expensive. And allocating money for—allocating more money for kosher food—could you explain what that was?

Aziz: So the discussion was, in ASRC and the Senate was, for ethnic food, to fund them a little bit more. For... That's the discussion for certain things like this. Like this culture food, Asian food, like Ethiopian food, things that are more ethnic that cost more.

Rodriguez: What was the consensus or the decision made last year?

Aziz: I think it was—it was either 2.25 or 2.50. But not the full 3 for the banquet. 2.50 is pretty much the consensus.

Rodriguez: Okay, I'll be—I'll be honest with you. It is my opinion that for something like this, like a religious event, something and maybe not for all of their events, but if they do request more money than the \$2.00 per head for something like very specific like this, I wouldn't be opposed to funding it. But...

Shiflett: But, um...

C. Johnson: Please.

Shiflett: I think especially that for you to—no fault of their own, we had their other events not getting funded—we should also take that into consideration. I'm not sure if we're allowed to.

C. Johnson: We just look at it event by event as objectively as possible and I hear that ASRC did that, and that's really cool, and I mean, an ASRC (inaudible) has more experience than I do, but as the first year Senator as I am, I feel like we should fund based on the standards that are in place. And if we don't have a written standard for funding more, then I don't think we should take it up. I think we should change our Titleate if we have an issue with it.

A. Hasan: Standards are (inaudible) job, so we can just put it for now, for example, if there's certain specific things which might require more funding, we can do it 2.5, right?

Aziz: Yeah.

A. Hasan: But most importantly, this one thing I learned about Indian events, is a lot of people show up.

C. Johnson: Okay, well, then let's do this. Just straw poll, raise your hand if you think we should adopt a standard that \$2.50 per head for Indian—

Shiflett: Can I make one last point, before we do that?

C. Johnson: Yeah, please.

Shiflett: I think kind of what Andy may have been going there for was that even though they don't directly state it, could we consider this a banquet for them, since they don't request it anywhere else, or do they specifically have to put the word "banquet" for us to consider that?

A. Hasan: Because they, what...

Shiflett: Because that's a major...

Ramirez: Did they know that, too?

C. Johnson: Yeah, they knew that.

A. Hasan: And they don't have a banquet.

Shiflett: Because they don't request another, I mean...

Rodriguez: I mean, I don't, I'm not considering this a banquet by any means, this isn't a banquet at all, and I'm not trying to say that—if they were to request a banquet and request an event with very specific food, then we shouldn't fund both of them. My thing is that this has been a discussion that's already been had, this has been something that people have hashed out, and I think they came to a decision for a reason. I think going back and trying to figure out, er, trying to do the work that's already been done doesn't make any sense to me. Last year's ASRC decided to fund events like this with a little bit more money for a reason, because student organizations—it—it's just unrealistic for

them if they're trying to do cultured events, to, you know, be able to fund it. I think standards are there for a reason. So if you fund this \$6.90, per person, you're still not breaking Proviso. It's—you're just breaking standard. And I think you can set a standard for something like cultured food. And it should be treated a little bit differently, in my opinion.

C. Johnson: So then raise your hand if you think we should set the standard for \$2.00—\$2.50 a head for ethnic food events. Ramirez, Hiba, okay, everyone, all right. We'll go ahead and adopt that as standard.

Lieb: Can I make a comment?

C. Johnson: Please.

Lieb: How are you going to define ethnic foods?

C. Johnson: That's a great question, and I don't really see how we can objectively do that, because I could definitely see the Italian Appreciation Club coming and saying, "We want to have ethnic Italian food. From all over."

A. Hasan: I feel...

C. Johnson: And it's not my place to say that that should be in place. Please?

???: Just because my mom is a chef, and I find that looking for ethnic food, it's more (inaudible) food, include a lot more import items, or ingredients, because it was imported, it's very expensive. Like even now I go in the Asian store, I can't get a lot of stuff, and I will ask why is it more expensive than—like, I'm from Colorado, and they'll tell me "because gas prices went up" and some Asian food still comes from California, because they said when it's still closer from Asia to California and then driving it or shipping it from California to Florida instead of going to New York because of the ocean. Because I'm sitting there, "Why can't it come from New York?" and they're saying, "No, a lot of this stuff comes from California." So like \$2.00 or \$3.00 more.

C. Johnson: So maybe these standards...

???: Like, per item. Like, rice in Colorado might be (inaudible) for 25 lbs, it's—\$25.00 here.

C. Johnson: So maybe the standard then isn't so much the more or less ambiguous "ethnic food" but it could be food that has to be bought through a more expensive importing process or something like that?

???: Yeah, like (inaudible) the restaurants need...

Aziz: I wouldn't—I would just leave it "ethnic food" and use your judgment.

C. Johnson: (inaudible) judgment.

A. Hasan: Because if you were considering all that, we have to—this is just \$45.00 more we're allocating, it's not (inaudible).

Aziz: You could also...

C. Johnson: I hear you.

Aziz: You can just ask them what food they're getting for the event so you know.

C. Johnson: Okay, so the stronghold is we're going to do \$2.50 a head. So, right now, that would be \$180.00 for...

A. Hasan: No.

Aziz: No, it wouldn't.

C. Jonson: It would be \$200.00? No, it would be 2... 2...

Aziz: 150.

C. Johnson: It would be 150? Okay, yeah, you're right. Thank you. Sorry about that. Let's do 150. As far as materials go, they asked for silverware, and that's the first time, so, not even looking at the other stuff. Halloween social, I don't—we talked about this, and there is, it doesn't coincide with any religious holiday, they just wanted to have a social on Halloween. Our standards allow us to do a social, one social, like an ambiguous social, per semester. So there's not really an issue with doing that, but I just wanted everybody to know that there's not a thing attached to that. So 40, so, should be 80, but we give them 60, and then half of that would be 25 so...

A. Hasan: But they asked for art supplies (inaudible)?

C. Johnson: But even that, we can—we can allocate more than 20, but that means we should do 20 because that's what they asked for.

A. Hasan: Oh, they asked for 20.

C. Johnson: The basketball tournament, ah...

Hiba: You could split that 200 between all of these.

C. Johnson: Do that right there. (typing) They didn't ask for utensils. They did ask for 4 trophies, which we definitely can't allocate, and since the other things they can get from the...

Ramirez: Why?

C. Johnson: Trophies?

Ramirez: Yeah, like...

C. Johnson: Because we can't fund things that are personalized, so.

Ramirez: Okay.

Galchenko: The trophy doesn't have to be personalized.

Rodriguez: It says—yeah, it says that they can be funded. Trophies and plaques.

C. Johnson: Trophies and plaques? I think for the (inaudible).

Galchenko: A trophy doesn't have to be personalized. Trophy can be “win first place” or “win second place.” It doesn't have to have a name on it.

C. Johnson: Okay.

A. Hasan: So what are the standards, er, the maximum?

Rodriguez: (inaudible) can be funded for a maximum amount of 150 for trophies and plaques. But I mean, they're only asking for 30.

Aziz: Like a personalized trophy and plaque, (inaudible) the money...

A. Hasan: No, but it's like a basketball tournament, and it's not going to be like blah blah blah person trophy.

Aziz: Yeah, a regular one is okay.

C. Johnson: It's going to be like here's a, here's a medal.

A. Hasan: First prize!

Rodriguez: First overall.

C. Johnson: Okay, well then if the Committee's okay with it, then we can go ahead and fund—\$30.00.

Ramirez: Well, they didn't also specifically say that they were going to be personalized, so how—I guess—you wouldn't know that—but if they are, and we find out, then...

A. Hasan: I mean, but it's...

Aziz: We need to make the note, and then when they receive the budget back from you, to tell them not personalized trophies. So they know.

Ramirez: Oh, okay.

C. Johnson: And when I talked to them, they didn't say it would be personalized, I just assumed it would be.

Ramirez: Yeah.

C. Johnson: But you guys brought up a good point. It doesn't necessarily have to be. So that's why we'll do that. And then...

A. Hasan: Shirts.

C. Johnson: Yeah, they want to get T-shirts to decorate for the year, but then they also want to have food for this event. So just on the food alone, we can do up to \$60.00. There's not an issue with that.

Shiflett: Well—but I thought you said we were only allowed to fund one social per semester. This is the same semester as the Halloween social.

C. Johnson: Which is that right there. That's a good point.

Aziz: (inaudible) the Halloween is the holiday event, not a religious holiday event.

Shiflett: Is there another one in the same semester? Like Christmas or something?

C. Johnson: No, they just did this. They didn't ask for money for next semester.

Ramirez: We can only fund for one per semester, one per year?

Shiflett: One social per semester, and then one holiday.

A. Hasan: I mean, I think they didn't—they could have just defined this event in a different way, and then we could have like worked through it. I feel like don't not give them food, but materials is T-shirts, but then again it's going to be T-shirts they're going to...

C. Johnson: Well, I was going to say with that Disaster Humanitarian Relief student collaborative, they had a pillow fight decorating contest, and it wasn't—er, a pillow case decorating contest, and the idea is that—they weren't—this event wasn't actually people hitting each other, it was they're decorating pillow cases, and then at a future time, that we're not funding, they will hit each other with these pillows. But we did fund them. There wasn't so much—thing is, it was pillow fights for peace. So it was kind of the same thing as their club. I think we can give \$150.00 for T-shirts. Because with T-shirts and—for T-shirts alone, that's, you know, we'd be allocating—that's why—we'd be funding—allocating for 30 T-shirts on that ground, which throughout the year, that's not many T-shirts, so I don't think there's an issue with doing full allocation for that. Hiba?

Hiba: Do we have to clarify that they have to get 30 T-shirts with them, or else it wouldn't be to our standards? I mean, they could use 150 to buy 5 T-shirts.

C. Johnson: No, it's flexible spending. They could do that, yeah, they could do that. But if then they were (inaudible), they'd be in trouble for that. Yeah, let's go ahead and do 150 full for this. As far as food goes, do you guys feel like this is something we should fund even though we did a social earlier in the year? Is that Halloween social, is that a non-religious social? How—what do you think, as far as standards go?

A. Hasan: Location.

C. Johnson: The location for most of their events was going to be at the Marshall Student Center, they just didn't have a room for this one at the time.

A. Hasan: Ah, okay.

Ramirez: What does that have to do with...

Shiflett: If it's off campus, we can't fund it.

C. Johnson: Yeah.

Shiflett: We'd be paying more off campus (inaudible) we can't fund it.

C. Johnson: But they're a new club, so they don't have, you know—typically, if it's off campus, it's because they've been doing it for a while and there's a place off-campus they have a preference to, but if it's on campus, you know, it's—they're brand new. They don't have anywhere else to go other than the Marshall Student Center.

Ramirez: Okay.

C. Johnson: So do you guys—are okay with it? I think we should just go ahead and fund the full 60, since they're not going to be able to get the first couple of their events, and it's decorated T-shirts. And it's for their—it isn't, I guess, Indian thing, sort of, decorating T-shirts? No? Not at all? I don't even know.

A. Hasan: They don't decorate T-shirts. That's a white thing.

C. Johnson: But it's \$60.00 Are you guys comfortable with allocating \$60.00 for this event, or do you think it's against our standards?

A. Hasan: I say do it.

C. Johnson: Do it?

Ramirez: Isn't it 40 times 2?

Hiba: Yeah, okay.

C. Johnson: Yeah, but we can't actually do more than 60.

Shiflett: No, we can't.

A. Hasan: They only asked for 60, so we don't need to give them 80.

Ramirez: Oh.

C. Johnson: Good? Okay, I'm going to keep moving on, then. Last but not least, this is just a social for the last week of school. Aziz?

Aziz: I think—you can't reserve rooms during finals anyway.

C. Johnson: Correct.

Aziz: In the Marshall Student Center, so.

C. Johnson: I don't think we can fund it.

Aziz: This is an additional social, so. (inaudible)

C. Johnson: No further events. So is everyone okay with doing \$583.00, are there any objections to that? Okay, seeing none.

Shiflett: Why don't you just keep the name?

C. Johnson: I don't know. I'm being stubborn. Okay, next on the list is Come Out of the Dark. All right, Come Out of the Dark, is a depression advocacy group, so it's talking about the clinical—they're trying to reduce the stigmas surrounding depression. That's the majority of what their events are about. Did anyone get this budget in the e-mail? Did anyone get Come Out of the Dark? Because I know that we sent out (inaudible) Marine Science Advisory Council, Youth Empowerment Skills—

Hiba: I got it, yeah.

Ramirez: I got it.

C. Johnson: You got Come Out of the Dark? Okay. All these events, though...

A. Hasan: They have a lot of material costs, do you know what all that is about?

C. Johnson: Yeah, a lot of it is... Special promotion material that is higher quality stuff. So we can talk about that in a second, but as far as the food goes, all their events... PC—what's PC? That's building...

Aziz: Psychology Department.

C. Johnson: There we go. Thank you. As far as their events go, they're asking for—when I looked over this the first time, they didn't break the food allocations for any of their stuff. I'm pretty sure they have exactly 2... Er, exactly 8 events. Let me just double check that real fast. They have 13 projects. Then we have to figure out which ones. Andy?

Rodriguez: The thing that immediately stuck out to me—can you scroll down to the banquet? 300 people.

A. Hasan: (inaudible)

Rodriguez: According to this, they have 30 members, but 300 people attending their Valentine's Day social.

C. Johnson: This right here...

Rodriguez: Actually, that's the one that I saw—the banquet.

C. Johnson: Yeah, well—the thing is that, in the past, House speakers have come out and have drawn out big crowds. I don't think they're going to draw 300 people. That's kind of a stretch.

A. Hasan: That's a big stretch.

C. Johnson: So...

Rodriguez: 1,000% of their attendance.

Hiba: Do we have data about how many people came out to their events in the past?

C. Johnson: No, they're a new organization.

Hiba: A new organization asking for attendance...

A. Hasan: Can I ask you something? PCD, it's the psychology department, right?

Shiflett: The building, yeah.

A. Hasan: That building is very isolated.

C. Johnson: It is, but it's on campus, so it gets (inaudible).

A. Hasan: I mean, I get it, I can understand that, but 300 people showing up at an event there...

C. Johnson: That's a valid concern.

A. Hasan: This is a new event?

Aziz: During spring break or before spring break?

Shiflett: It is a new event, yes.

(inaudible)

C. Johnson: Yeah, we haven't even—we're—we just looked down here, but.

Ramirez: How do we know if they're new events or not? Do they—were they supposed to say it?

C. Johnson: If they're new events?

Ramirez: Yeah, that they—yeah.

C. Johnson: Well, they're all new events because it's a new organization.

Ramirez: Oh, okay.

C. Johnson: So, yeah.

Aziz: (inaudible)

Galchenko: Well, the event might not be new. The organization had to be in existence for 14 weeks prior to getting—applying for the (inaudible) funding. It's just that you have no record of these events. So, you—there's no history for you guys to look at.

Ramirez: Okay, yes, so we should ask them questions.

Galchneko: So you could ask them questions to whether they had that event in the past or no.

Ramirez: Okay.

C. Johnson: And they have not had any of these events before, they're—never had any of these events before.

Ramirez: Okay.

C. Johnson: But, so a big thing about this organization—what they do, is they basically make personally wristbands, and then they get together and they send them out in the mail. So the idea is that before these events that we'd be allocating for, they would have already had peoples say they want to buy these personalized wristbands. But then they used it for funding, so we can't just—we cannot fund that because that's fundraising that goes towards the organization.

A. Hasan: (inaudible)

Aziz: And it's also personal, right?

C. Johnson: It's also per—yeah, it is personalized, but—yeah—but the thingy is, is we can't give organizations money for that. So I'm just going to go ahead and delete, er, zero fund all three of these, and that one's already going to be past the date.

Ramirez: Say it again, why can't we give out money for the mailing, or whatever it is?

Rodriguez: We can't give money to anything that is fundraising.

Ramirez: Okay.

A. Hasan: What's October 14th? We can't do that?

Ramirez: Oh, I thought...

C. Johnson: Yeah, that's the wristband thing. So that brings down their total count from 13 to 10. As far as the rest of this goes, this is their Speakers Against Stigma. They're asking for 200 people and they think that—so if we did full banquet amount, that would be...

A. Hasan: 600.

C. Johnson: That would be \$600.00.

A. Hasan: That's what I (inaudible).

C. Johnson: And there's no—then they're asking for utensils, which would be the \$50.00 (inaudible) the materials. Hiba?

Hiba: Seeing as how it's a new organization, new event, in a poor location, should we just max out the number of students attending for them at 100?

A. Hasan: Could we do 180?

Hiba: And if more people show up, we can fund them more in the future?

C. Johnson: We can't, I mean—I don't know. To the best of my knowledge, the best thing they can do is then turn around and ask for annual funding, but they can't ask for an additional grand because they feel we didn't give enough money.

Hiba: I mean, next semester, or next year.

C. Johnson: Next year, we could absolutely do it, but you're saying that we should just—so they're brand new, so we should just assume they're going to, what, get arbitrarily half as many people to turn up as they think they're going to?

A. Hasan: No, but...

C. Johnson: Like, what's the standard we use?

A. Hasan: Let's just take this in a logical manner, and in my head, it's—this is thought out—they need—they're going to get \$3.00 per head for food for banquet. Right? Hence they asked for that much amount of money, and they needed to show that they'd be seating a lot of people, to put in 200. No one's going to show up at PCD for a banquet.

C. Johnson: They fluffed up the numbers?

A. Hasan: Yeah.

C. Johnson: Shiflett?

Shiflett: Understand, if they have the support of the psychology department around them, which I (inaudible) they do, I don't know who they're sponsor is—but pulling in 200 people won't be a

problem for them, at least, if they... But I mean, if you guys do want to cap it at 100, I would put 100 there, yeah.

C. Johnson: See, instead of—I would say that what we do is that since they are a new organization, and that is a really good point, I say we go ahead and lean more on the let's fund them more towards what they want and then audit their events so that next year we can actually do...

Aziz: When you guys met with them, did they confirm 200 people expected?

A. Hasan: Do they have records?

C. Johnson: Yeah, I mean they said—they said 200 people were expected, but I mean, again...

A. Hasan: We cannot take that at face value. That's a lot of money and they could just show records of the number of people who are signed in to Org Sync, how many people are there in their org...

Aziz: You guys can skip that event and do the rest if you guys want to... 200.

A. Hasan: A lot of—all of the—later events, they all too ask for 300 people.

C. Johnson: Yeah, it's... 50. This one's not as bad. But this is their wristband thing.

Shiflett: (inaudible)

A. Hasan: (inaudible)

Rodriguez: Well can we partially fund them for that, since it's also a new party or no?

C. Johnson: No, if they use any of their money in any way towards making money, then they (inaudible).

Aziz: Ice cream social...

C. Johnson: Potluck, ice cream social, ice cream social...

(inaudible layered background conversations)

Aziz: Well, I can eliminate the 2015, the July one, because it happened at the end of the fiscal year. So that one's out. And...

C. Johnson: Let's just count this up. One, two...

Aziz: You can (inaudible) some of the socials as just one semester. End of the year event...

C. Johnson: Three... Four... Five. Six.

Aziz: I see a lot of banquets and socials.

C. Johnson: Okay, well I think that what we should do is that, since we just went ahead and wrote off a lot of what they're asking for, I think we should go ahead and fund both of their Speakers Against Stigma banquets, because those are their two big events. They want to do one in Fall, one in Spring. And we should go ahead and full fund that, because—and see how well they do with those two events, and give them a chance. And then we'll audit both of those events, you know, I can audit both of those events, we can audit both of those events, or they can audit both of those events hopefully in the future, which is what we're trying to get to. But either way, we can have some sort of record of how well these events are, so that next year, when they ask for annual funding, we can see if they actually deserve how much they ask for. Is there any objection against doing the full funding for food at least for those?

Aziz: I think (inaudible) two events in a semester you can really fund for total (inaudible).

C. Johnson: And this is for utensils. Thanks the Members potluck?

Aziz: Is that like an end of year event?

Shiflett: It's a potluck, people are supposed to bring their own food.

C. Johnson: That's a good point. That's actually, that's like a nail in the coffin.

Aziz: I mean, the first one is a banquet. The second one—they both sound like banquets.

C. Johnson: They do.

Aziz: So...

C. Johnson: It's almost like they said, "Okay, well, we can't get \$30, we've asked for 100 people, so let's ask for 150..."

Aziz: Because look, they're requesting finger food for the banquet, so... Finger foods would not really cost as much. Think about for a banquet.

Hiba: I think they put the finger foods under supplies.

C. Johnson: Okay, well as far as I'm concerned, when I talked to them, they... It's not as—it sounded as banquet-y as every other banquet that people would ask for, you know? There's not really, I mean, other than saying show us the receipt of how exactly—tell us how this crossed the point from being a well-attended food event into a banquet event, you know, there's not really a point that we can say that. So—the Thanks to Members potluck—I don't know. This doesn't really seem like it's an event for many people.

Ramirez: 150 people?

C. Johnson: Yeah.

Ramirez: And they're all bringing something, or...?

(inaudible)

Shiflett: How many people...

Hiba: There's 30.

C. Johnson: There's 30 people in the group. So they're asking for 150—you know, I think we should go ahead and fund them for 30 people.

Shiflett: Yeah, let's do that.

A. Hasan: Could I make a suggestion? Could we have one of the (inaudible) talk to them once more, before going through with this budget?

C. Johnson: They've come a couple times, and I have talked to them a couple more times. Now, we can bring them up again and their first event isn't until the 14th.

A. Hasan: No, we're not doing it.

C. Johnson: The first event wouldn't be until "TBD."

A. Hasan: Which is probably in November, December... Because it's a banquet. So, let's not—let's bring them one more time and ask them, like, how are you going to say this?

C. Johnson: Well, we can do that, but that's not very fair to other organizations who don't get another chance.

Aziz: Like, if you've talked to them three times already.

C. Johnson: Yeah, they've been given a lot of chances. And this is a resubmission. This is after we talked, and after we talked about the problems, and then they submitted this. So...

Ramirez: Do they have like all the steps that they're supposed to follow, when they fill this out? Do they know everything that we're talking about?

Lieb: They have access to...

Shiflett: They have access to everything.

C. Johnson: Yes, in theory they do. In practice, most new organizations don't even know where to look. They find the link, they submit it, and then they say, "Okay, where's the money?"

Ramirez: Yeah.

C. Johnson: So that's the point of the first meeting, in my opinion, sit down and basically go over that with them.

A. Hasan: So we recommend and everything, and then they give us the revised budget, but we already told them, but they—it feels like they just used the numbers.

Ramirez: Okay.

Shiflett: (inaudible) club I looked at revised to \$150,000.

A. Hasan: What?

Shiflett: Keep going down, I guess.

C. Johnson: All right, guys, let's go ahead and do this. I say we go ahead and for this event we fund for...

A. Hasan: We don't have that much money.

Shiflett: (inaudible)

C. Johnson: Hey, guys? For this event, let's go ahead and fund them for 30 people, because that's how many people they say are in the club. And then we'll do 25 for this right here.

A. Hasan: 30 people, \$60.00.

C. Johnson: Thank you.

Hiba: This says it's a "thanks to its members" potluck. That makes it sound almost as if it's inclusive to the people who are already members.

C. Johnson: But it does say, "old and new members that we're hoping will rejoin us in the Spring." So when I talked to them, the idea wasn't so much, "Hey, let's all get together and have food," it was, "Let's try to get more people to come out and encourage membership for next semester." So again, benefit of the doubt, it's poorly worded, but benefit of the doubt.

A. Hasan: Benefit of the doubt...

C. Johnson: Okay, the Valentine's Day social. This one... She told me about this event. The whole idea is that it's a Valentine's Day social for people with depression. So it's about being okay with, you know, yourself and being alone. Stuff like that. So it is a club-oriented event, again, it's very ambiguous, you know... I can see doing—I don't think 300 people are going to come out. I think that's a—I think it's a stretch.

Shiflett: Just reading through the description of the above events that we decided to zero fund, sorry to interrupt, but where does it say they're going to be fundraising, or did they tell you that?

C. Johnson: Well, the whole—yeah, they told me that. That's what it is. Yeah.

Shiflett: Did they—they—they'd be purchased? Okay.

C. Johnson: It is at the end of the year, they donate all their fundraisings towards some sort of charity, we still can't—we still can't fund that.

Shiflett: Oh, okay.

C. Johnson: Evan?

Lieb: Also, why is the date for this event, if it's a Valentine's Day social, on St. Patrick's Day, in March?

C. Johnson: That's a really good question.

Ramirez: Wait, maybe it's supposed to be 2/17. What—when is Valentine's Day?

Lieb: That's not even Valentine's Day.

Hiba: Nope, it's 3.

Ramirez: I bet you it's supposed to be a month before. They messed it up. Or maybe they want to have a...

C. Johnson: This is a resubmission. They had—you know, we already gave them an extra chance that a lot of (inaudible).

Ramirez: So—I don't think we should fund them then, if it's a month after. It doesn't...

C. Johnson: Then let's not fund them.

A. Hasan: How about this... Maybe it's because of the people who didn't have Valentine's and stuff and are sad about it. Maybe it's...

Ramirez: No.

Hiba: A month and three days later.

C. Johnson: And they include (inaudible).

Ramirez: Yeah, you'll be sad before then.

C. Johnson: I'm going go with zero fund it.

(inaudible, multiple voices)

Ramirez: Well, do, hey, I have a question—sorry.

C. Johnson: No, no, just speak up, please.

Ramirez: So maybe they did make a mistake—now, do you—can you go back and say, “Well, we didn’t fund you because this, this, and this” or no, we don’t, you don’t do that?

Hiba: Valentine’s Day is...

C. Johnson: What I do is I tell an organization to pass through Committee and then once it gets to Senate, I show them the completed bill and...

Ramirez: That was just done.

C. Johnson: And it’s just done. And if they ask for what the breakdown is, I’ll send it to them. But it’s not—I don’t give it to every, any organization once they ask for it because—if I do that, like just give it to them, then everyone’s going to want to know. And I’d rather just not have angry people come up to my office. They’re already angry when they get the bill and I already got me a couple bills coming up to me, so. That’s the way I look at it.

Ramirez: Yeah. I mean, I think that they should know—well, I mean they should know already, but.

C. Johnson: Masha?

Galchenko: Well, here’s the thing. There’s an Interim tab on each one of these budgets that kind of tells you about what the rules and requirements are.

Ramirez: Okay.

Galchenko: And how to submit your budget. So the fact that they don’t go to this...

Ramirez: Yeah.

Galchenko: You should hold them accountable for it.

Ramirez: Yeah, exactly.

Galchenko: You should be putting some accountability on these organizations. It can’t be all on Chris to get this information out of them and they have allowed to resubmit, which shouldn’t have been allowed in the first place because that’s not going to happen in annual—during annual budget process. You’re not going to have a chance of submitting something then talking to your representative and then resubmitting something again. It’s just not going to happen. You have to

hold these organizations accountable for what their actions are. They have all the information in front of them. They have the information on the website. The fact that they don't take that extra step to go and educate themselves—

Ramirez: And then start the bill.

Galchenko: —before they go and apply for the funding, for the money, I'm sorry, then—it's (inaudible).

Ramirez: It makes sense. Yeah. I agree.

Shiflett: It also tells you that if you have any questions, contact SBO.

C. Johnson: Hiba, do you have anything else to add to that, or can we...?

Hiba: Just that Valentine's Day is the 14th next year.

C. Johnson: Okay.

Hiba: It is the 14th every year, isn't it? All right.

???: Well, what you said wasn't wrong.

Rodriguez: I don't think this is the...

C. Johnson: Okay. Hey, guys this is the same—Andy—this is the same event as earlier in the year. They're asking for \$350.00 more, though, for this event because more people are going to show up. And then of course—then look at this—this is what gets me. "We'll be asking for finger food and drinks for 200 people." So did they change the number? And didn't even change it in the description. So I go ahead and allocate for almost—for the exact same thing as what we did before, given that they just arbitrarily changed the number. Is there any objection to that?

A. Hasan: I really still do not feel very good about giving them—even for 200—

C. Johnson: No, I...

A. Hasan: Because if it was the Marshall Center, I wouldn't question this.

Hiba: I still would question it.

C. Johnson: Yeah, I'd question it. Well, look—all right. So far we're really only funding 2 events. That's the way I'm looking at it. And—let's see, we're doing 20 for this one.

Galchenko: Psychology building is not at the end of the world, it's like the business center for you. For them, the Psychology building... It's a pretty big building. It's 2 minutes away from (inaudible) so it's not like it's in downtown Tampa type of thing. So I wouldn't zero on the fact that this is in the Psychology building rather than Marshall Center.

Shiflett: But the only place in the Psychology building they could hold it is the lecture hall there.

A. Hasan: I mean...

Hiba: They have a big area in the bottom with fountains and seats and chairs and stuff. They could just hold it downstairs in the building, couldn't they?

Shiflett: In the PCD building? I worked there for 6 months. They have a lobby and then it splits off in two directions and then you go...

C. Johnson: I've never been there.

Shiflett: There's definitely, big enough to hold a banquet that I know of in that building, is the lecture hall.

C. Johnson: This is what I'm going to do, okay? Whatever we decide to allocate them, I'm going to talk to them and say, look we have some serious issues with your budget and you're going to be under scrutiny for any of your events that you hold so if you want to change the venue, go ahead and let us know, so we can know where these events are going to be because we're going to have to show up to them. But as far as this other event goes, Thanks to Members, it's really just a social.

Shiflett: The potluck.

C. Johnson: It's a potluck, yes. But you know, again, the way I'm looking at it is that they could have asked for \$300.00, and they're asking \$150.00, I'm okay with allocating \$150.00 because it's such a small amount and because it's—it could be their one social of the year. But then again, the next event is the same thing. But that's actually a different semester, so. What we could do is we could do 150 for this and then this would be 5—they could have asked for more but this would be 5 for

utensils, and food—if you're comfortable doing—do you think 200 people will show up to an ice cream social?

Hiba: (inaudible)

A. Hasan: Would it cost 200 to have ice cream for 100 people?

C. Johnson: I don't think so at all, I think it would be \$100.00. If you're okay with that.

Hiba: When is this? In the summer, you have fewer people on campus, so yeah.

C. Johnson: Good? All right. So back up to the top, that means that, \$1,706.60. Is there any objection to recommending that much be allocated? Okay.

Hiba: Uh, question.

Rodriguez: There is a much better way to do this, but... (inaudible)

A. Hasan: Yeah, but like...

C. Johnson: Hiba?

Hiba: If we don't tell them the details of what we're allocating them for, the money for, then what's stopping them from thinking we're okaying allocations to the 484 materials to send out bracelets and then just using that anyway?

C. Johnson: That is a great question. And that's what we can talk about after this, okay? But let's keep moving on, see—let's see if we can get over to the next couple ones, okay?

A. Hasan: If they do, they're breaking statutes.

Hiba: (inaudible)

C. Johnson: We're doing—we're making good time. College of the Arts Council.

A. Hasan: Did anyone get that?

C. Johnson: Okay, so this one we can't... Did someone get this one?

???: No.

???: No.

C. Johnson: All right, get this one right there. It's kind of all over the place. Can we fund this event?

Shiflett: It passes through Senate the 16th, they have 7 days, right?

A. Hasan: No, but it's...

Shiflett: Yes, they can.

A. Hasan: It's still going to be like...

Shiflett: No, they can do it because the day after Senate is the 17th. They put it in the—they then have 2 days before the seventh. The 25th is a Thursday, so they have up until the 18th, I think, to request it in advance.

C. Johnson: Okay, well just so you guys see, I already went through and made recommendations for this. They didn't ask for any materials. At all. And this is, again, after they had a chance to resubmit it. I recommend to do 90 here because it's 2 times \$2.00 for a head. It's just basically a social to get people to show up and see what's going on in the College of the Arts. Zero for materials here, this one I did—well, I did \$7.00, should I do \$7.00?

Hiba: Mm-hmm.

A. Hasan: Mm-hmm.

C. Johnson: So just 7. Sorry. Again, 2 a head. It's a lecture event. They didn't ask for anything, for any guest speakers or anything. Same thing, \$2.00 a head here. For food, they tried to—they asked for a lot of—we recommended—I recommend doing \$2.00 a head also for this. Same exact thing here. All these events are almost the exact same, they're just going to do much more events.

A. Hasan: Exactly the same.

C. Johnson: And there's nothing special, this is the most vanilla request we've ever received. This is what I'd recommend. Is there any objection to allocating \$583.00? Seeing none—

Hiba: How are we going to split that?

C. Johnson: Huh?

A. Hasan: 6.

Hiba: How many heads was that? 6?

C. Johnson: 6. Yeah. Okay, that's good. Marine Science Advisory Council... All right.

A. Hasan: Uh oh...

C. Johnson: So—okay, you know what, actually, I want to talk about them last, pending... Let's just make sure... Yeah. I'm going to talk about them last because they have a special case, so let's—I'm going to go actually—is there an objection to moving Marine Science Advisory Council to after Youth Empowerment Skills and Baati Yoga? Yeah?

A. Hasan: So moved.

Hiba: You do have to make (inaudible).

C. Johnson: Youth Empowerment?

Shiflett: Yeah, you... Yeah.

C. Johnson: Yeah, sorry, thank you everyone.

A. Hasan: What?

Hiba: (inaudible) next semester.

C. Johnson: Youth Empowerment Skills.

(inaudible whispering)

Shiflett: He can't make the motion. We have to make the motion.

A. Hasan: (inaudible)

Shiflett: (inaudible) so moved. You made the motion. The motion's on you.

C. Johnson: Okay, Baati Yoga is a—well, Baati Yoga is Baati Yoga. It's a type of yoga. Baati Yoga club is a stress relief, trying to get people in touch with their inner spirit and trying to collect their conscious and stuff like that. (inaudible) is a concert they want to put on. We need to—if we're

going to approve it, we really need to approve it today because they need to start—they need to verify the venue and everything, and if we don't approve it, then they're not going to have money for it. They're asking for \$3,800.00 for this event. So this event is a... They want to invite a band from India who is famous—they started in India, they travel all around the U.S. now and do tours in the U.S., but they want to have them come up and do a concert, basically. In the Marshall Student Center. The Marshall Student Center has okayed this event and the venue. And these are accurate numbers for—these are... \$500.00. And they want to pay for performers' transportation and stuff like that for the entertainers. So that's why they're asking for so much money.

A. Hasan: Um... Did ASRC have anything like this?

Aziz: We... ASRC does have a few requests like this for large speakers. The most we've allocated giving is \$1,000.00. We had a speaker from MSA. They have like big speakers that, um, performers.

C. Johnson: Now this event, though, just so you guys know, they were able to do—they basically did the event for free last year. The band didn't require any money and what they—with the idea that they'd be able to come back in future semesters and get paid. But they had over 300 people show up last semester to this event. So this for them is really big.

Aziz: I think I went to this event in the ballroom, when they had the band playing, and everyone sits down and...

C. Johnson: Is it really cool?

Aziz: Yeah.

C. Johnson: They—literally, you keep chanting the same line over and over again and people start singing and crying and laughing and dancing—they made it sound like a really cool thing.

Hiba: Like Coco would like this.

C. Johnson: Yeah, it is... And I bet Coco would like this.

Aziz: I think they're very into it.

C. Johnson: So, I mean... Honestly, I sat down with them, I talked about exactly the breakdown of the cost, and I know it's a lot of money, but I really do feel comfortable with allocating for this

event. And with the food provided, you know, 2—\$500.00—they should be asking for a lot more than \$500.00 for the amount of people they need to be feeding but I'm comfortable with doing this. Hiba, do you have something to say?

Hiba: They say the band usually gets paid \$2,000.00 for their performance—were they able to negotiate with the band, since they got in for free last time, maybe get a discounted rate?

C. Johnson: Well, that's the thing. The band—last year, the band said, "We'll take—we want \$2,000.00 but we care so much about this, we'll do it for free." And that's why they had it there for free. This year, though, the idea is that \$3,800.00 is the cost of paying our technicians, the band technicians, the cost of having the Marshall Student Center AB tech fees and stuff like that. It's also the cost of paying for the travel of the band, which they were somehow able to pay for them last year, and whatever the hotel cost, I think, for the band to stay in a hotel would be. But then whatever's left over, which came out to like \$700.00 or \$800.00, that goes to actually paying the band. The band's already still going to take less than what they wanted to get paid. Alex Johnson, the Attorney General, just entered into the room.

Aziz: Just so you know, 12:15 we have an interview in here, so.

C. Johnson: Okay, we'll wrap it up. Please?

A. Hasan: Can I motion to table this and the rest of the notes for next week?

C. Johnson: We can definitely table... I mean, I'm going to have to not take that just because—we can table Marine Science Advisory Council, and we can table Youth Empowerment Skills, because both of those events—this again, a similar concert, which is not nearly as well planned, which we'll talk about—but this event, again, because of how big it is and because it's actually an event that we were able to do last year, if we don't fund it today, then we—then they may not be able to put it on. Sam?

Shiflett: Well, aren't we only supposed to supplement their activities, not fully pay for them? Like...

Aziz: Yeah.

C. Johnson: That's true.

Shiflett: So I don't think it's right for us to pay for the entire amount.

C. Johnson: Okay. Hiba?

Hiba: Other student organizations asking for smaller amounts, we expect them to supplement their own pay, their own allocations. They end up having to pay an extra few hundred dollars, I suppose. But with this much money involved, I don't know where they're going to be able to pull it up from.

Aziz: The org had this event last year, they—you have a place where you can give donations if you choose, they don't ask you to donate, but... You are able to donate to them if you want.

C. Johnson: Which would be nice, but I don't think that would... I think that's a really good point to—that he brought up. If anything, I could see allocating for everything minus say \$700.00 to pay for the band, with the idea that everything else would be covered so the band has that for free, but I also don't feel right giving the band nothing. So.

Aziz: Up to the max, you could probably fund 1,000 to be consistent with what we've done in the past for large (inaudible).

Shiflett: 1,000 overall, or just for the band, no materials?

A. Hasan: Materials.

Aziz: Just for the materials, is that \$1,000.00.

Shiflett: Okay.

Aziz: Total. For the whole thing.

Shiflett: But how large was that event?

Aziz: Similar scale of—it wasn't our own speaker, and (inaudible) were like (inaudible). Because it's a subsidy, and we can't—we don't fully fund them anyway.

C. Johnson: Hiba?

Hiba: I suppose—like, a concert, you're going to have musical instruments, you're going to have acoustics, you're going to have to deal with more electronics than just a speaker who sometimes, you know, speakers, the microphone stops working. That's not as big of a deal for someone speaking at an event but I think someone performing a musical event, you want to have that done correctly.

C. Johnson: Yeah, one more comment. What'chu got?

A. Hasan: How about we go ahead and fund them \$2,000.00 or \$1,500.00, so—that way we're completely not funding them but... I'm not comfortable funding the full amount.

C. Johnson: Okay, well let's do this. Let's go ahead and say—let's see—they have 4 events, okay. We can get through these. We do 500 because they're going to at least have 500 people. For the sake of that the next organization that we're going to look at today, the YES Group, they—they're asking for a similar, money for a similar event, but a lot more money—I think we should go ahead and pick a number. And I feel comfortable with \$2,000.00 as the standard because that includes the travel expenses, and paying the band, and all the different fees, and honestly we don't subsidize—if we subsidize only 1,000, they're not going to be able to put on the event. That's the bottom line. And that's going to be \$1,500.00 floating around that they're not going to be able to use. If the idea—if the whole point of subsidizing an event is so that the organization can put it on with some help outside of us, then we should subsidize so that they can put on the event with some help outside of us. And if we don't subsidize enough, then they're not going to be able to put on the event no matter how much help they get.

Aziz: So if (inaudible) like \$20,000.00, and half of it is 10,000, are we obligated to give you the \$10,000.00 though? Because it's subsidizing for half? Almost?

Hiba: If we... We're not...

Aziz: You know what I mean?

C. Johnson: No. I look at it like what we're subsidizing—the principal that we're operating by is that the subsidy needs to make it so the event can be used if it's—and if it's any higher—if it's any lower than what we're subsidizing, then the event cannot take place. All right? No organization is going to ask for 20,000, and if they do, we sit down with them and say, look, we're not going to fund you because we only have 150 grand, we're not going to give you a seventh of our budget. That's the approach I would take in that situation. But in this situation, I feel like we should go ahead and subsidize the 2 grand. In my opinion. What'chu got?

Hiba: From what I understand about the way that (inaudible) organizations can submit budgets and the way we're supposed to look at them, we can't...

A. Hasan: (inaudible)

Hiba: We're not allowed to look at the context—context? I'm not sure of the word—we're not allowed to evaluate what they want the money for on whether or not the thing deserves it. I think. They could be asking for the \$3,000.00 for “greatness” performers...

C. Johnson: You know what, this is what we're going to have to do. Let's go ahead and motion to table this and table the rest of the items on the agenda, go into announcements, and end it. Anika?

A. Hasan: So moved.

C. Johnson: Are there any objections? All right, seeing none, we're into announcements.

Announcements:

C. Johnson: Thank you very much for coming out today. (inaudible) are probably going to get called next Tuesday after the auditing juror is hired. Please go ahead and express interest in joining that. And stay after a few minutes so we can talk about how funding's going to work. But stay outside in the hall, okay? Thank you very much, guys. Meeting is adjourned at—

Aziz: Motion, need a motion for adjournment.

C. Johnson: Can I have a motion for adjournment? Anika?

A. Hasan: So moved.

C. Johnson: Are there any objections? Seeing none. You're adjourned at 12:15.

Meeting adjourned at 12:15 P.M.

Transcribed by Senate Committee Transcriber Jerico Lenk.