

7-10-2013

OC minutes 7/10/2013

Brandon Telchi
btelchi@usf.edu

Follow this and additional works at: https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/sg_jud_pubs

Scholar Commons Citation

Telchi, Brandon, "OC minutes 7/10/2013" (2013). *Judicial Branch Publications*. 6.
https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/sg_jud_pubs/6

This Judicial Meeting Minutes is brought to you for free and open access by the Student Government at Digital Commons @ University of South Florida. It has been accepted for inclusion in Judicial Branch Publications by an authorized administrator of Digital Commons @ University of South Florida. For more information, please contact digitalcommons@usf.edu.



Agenda

Wednesday, 10 July, 2013

5:00 PM

- I. Attendance
 - a. Announce Absences
 - b. List Guests
- II. Additions/Deletions to Agenda
- III. Additions/Deletions to Minutes
 - a. 26 June
- IV. Open Forum
- V. Judicial Reports
- VI. SGATO Report
- VII. Old Business
- VIII. New Business
 - a. Judicial summit recap
 - b. Plans for future inter-branch cooperation
 - c. Parking video
- IX. Announcements
- X. Adjournment

*University of South Florida Government
Supreme Court 2013-2014*

Daniel Shapiro (DS): I call this meeting to order at 5:06pm on the 10th of July, 2013. In attendance are myself, Daniel Shapiro, our chief justice Bryan Buenaventura (BB), our acting ranking justice Michael Kalmowicz (MK), our associate justice Sammy Hamed (SH), clerk Brandon Telchi (BT) , excused is Corey McCance (CM), and our guests are Dan Grakowski (DG), and Shaheen Nori (SN). So is there a motion to move out of attendance and into additions/deletions to agenda?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, we are now in additions/deletions to agenda. Does anyone have anything they would like to add to the agenda? Seeing none, is there a motion to move out of additions/deletions to agenda and into additions/deletions to minutes?

SH: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, is there a motion to approve the minutes from the 26th of June?

BB: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, the minutes are approved. Is there a motion to move out of additions/deletions to minutes and into open forum?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? We are now in open forum. Does anyone have anything?

BB: we can say what you've been doing if you want

SN: yeah, so far with the general information on solicitor general what's been going on with that: we've done an excessive amount of outreach with law firms to get legal aid, not only get it going but get it permanent; and that's-that has some good progress with that and we've actually ended up finding a really good firm that seems willing to-I have a meeting with the guy from the head of the firm on Friday-this Friday. And everything else has just kinda been handled accordingly and the typical parking transportation appeals and nothing too major yet but I mean that's-that's pretty much where we've been so far-

DS: that's great, glad to see you're so proactive with outreach to law firms; definitely a great idea. Anyone else have anything in open forum?

BB: I just had a question: have you gotten any emails from any students at all?

SN: yes. I had a few-I've had numerous actually amount of emails from students, but they're just basic guidance; I think a lot a lot of students are still emailing me where I'm having to guide them to PATS first, you know, so I know that we did get that graphic sent to progo, and then I think it's on the TVs.

DG: I hope so because I haven't seen it yet.

SN: I haven't seen it either but there is so much stuff on the TVs at this time of going into fall; there's like so many images on the televisions but I'm pretty sure it's up there-it should be. But that of course directs them to the proper steps, but I have been getting a numerous amount of emails. So I just do, do the right thing: I direct them to-whenever they're at in the process when seeking help from me, I just guide them to whatever they need to do from that point. And I've had a couple where they've I guess reached out and had an upheld citation from the court and which, cause they don't understand exactly how it works, which my statement has always been well the court's decision is final. So seeking me out is not something you do after that, you know? It's just mostly general information, emails, and all of that stuff-just general questions.

DS: that's great. Every bit of outreach you do benefits us and vice-versa. So is there anything else in open forum? Alright, seeing none, motion to move out of open forum and into judicial reports.

SH: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, we are now in judicial reports. So far this week I, well not this week, but a few weeks ago, I attended our judicial summit in St. Pete and it went incredibly well, but more on that later. And I've also been continuing to look over our ROPs. Chief Justice Buenaventura?

BB: yeah, I gave the report yesterday at senate about our trip to USF St. Pete; they all seem to really enjoy that we went out there to another branch-of judicial branch. And they-and I also encouraged them all to get to know other officers from student government, so they all seemed to like that. I spoke with the chief justice Alex Johnson from USF St. Pete and they're already trying to get the ball rolling with getting parking appeals. He called me and asked me to get some statistics of what our overturn rate with parking appeals, and I just referred him to the article, where it says everything on there, even how much we overturn to how many we sustained last year so they're going to show that to PATS and that ought to set a pretty good precedence for them and a good example of what-what to expect handling the parking appeals. And I did email Alex, the chief justice from St. Pete, and he did confirm that he is going to be in the area on Friday, so I wanted to know if any of you guys are going to be here on Friday just to just show him around the office; I'll try to be here on Friday, I believe he said he was going to be here after 1, but I'll confirm that.

MK: I can-I can-I can meet with him if he wants.

BB: okay, and then Katherine is going to send me notes of what we did that day and I'm going to email it to the chief justices, the ones from St. Pete and Sarasota-Manatee, showing what we talked about, so, as we know, as long as it's printed out we can pursue it; just so we're all on the same page. There is an outreach opportunity coming up, it's the YOGLO event, I'll try to go to that but... there's heavy promotion on that so there's going to be a lot of students at that and we can do outreach opportunity there. And I know that Friday they're going to be stuffing SG bags and we need to figure out how we can get those pamphlets in there.

SH: I'll take care of that for sure; they already have a big stack of our Parking 101 things in there, so I'll make sure they're-

BB: that they're in the thing so that it gets out to everyone. And that's all I have to report.

DS: alright, thank you very much. Justice Kalmowicz?

MK: it's great to be back guys. I don't know if you recall, but a month ago we talked about the Facebook page: getting us our own Facebook page talking about parking appeals and other stuff that we view and what not with students and trying to get our word out there. I met with Eskira and William Warmke earlier today and they didn't necessarily-not that they didn't like the idea, but they want to try a different thing where we work with the current Facebook page and we would essentially send them updates that we feel are necessary in a weekly manner. And we actually met with the new Communications Coordinator and I think his name is Joseph; I don't know his last name. But his name is Joseph and we're going to work with him, Sammy, and I, so that's apparently what's going on. So the Facebook page will not be happening now.

SH: we're just going to be more active on the student government page though.

MK: yeah, let me clarify: we're going to be working with their page now and put more judicial stuff on it and get the word out. And Sammy and I will work on that.

DS: alright, very good. Justice Hamed?

SH: well, I went to USF St. Pete with you guys a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed that. Ever since then I've been working on the big initiative of outreaching to student organizations, kinda individually. So what I've been doing is going over that master list, highlighting which ones I either knew people that could get us to go to one of their meetings and tell them what we do, things like that. So the purpose of that is to let the biggest number of students know what we're doing so hopefully we'll see a big rise in parking appeals due to that. So we're going to try to get a tentative schedule done for that. We're going to try to get a schedule set away for that so we can meet with all of the organizations during their meeting times. We'll bring the new parking video with us and show them that, that'll be good. Also, me and Justice Shapiro are now on the ad-hoc constitution committee that was just formed yesterday.

BB: point of clarification

DS: I'm on that?

SH: you're on that.

BB: he is on that?

SH: yeah, Sham told me a few moments ago.

SH: oh, okay. Well, it's an honor. Okay, definitely with the student organizations I'm looking forward to doing that; that's a big way that we can see tangible benefits because I mean that's a way to directly reach some of those student organizations have over 100 people so that is definitely a great initiative that we're working on and I definitely praise Sammy for getting on that. Okay, so is there a motion to move out of judicial reports and into SGATO report?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, there's no SGATO report cause Katherine isn't here right now, so is there a motion to move out of SGATO report and into old business?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, we are now in old business. There is no old business. So is there a motion to move out of old business and into new business?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, we're in new business. So I just wanted to recap our judicial summit that we went to a couple of weeks ago on Friday. We got a lot accomplished and we could definitely see that our branches can cooperate a lot; we can help to establish their branches and to, you know, as we see what kind of growing pains they go through we can find out ways to better our branch. We want to look into standardizing our ROPs so we have a system-wide USF judicial ROP, where applicable. We can brainstorm ideas about outreaching, ways to like St. Pete right now wants to get parking appeals, as Bryan said; discuss proper roles in student government and how we interact with the different branches. But yeah, I mean it was a great summit all around and something that has never been done before and I definitely want to commend our acting chief justice for taking the initiative and doing something historic like this. Does anyone else want to kind of talk about what we did?

BB: just a question: are we going to talk about our relationship with them at the next part of the agenda?

SH: yes

DS: yeah

BB: okay

DS: but the email thing, that's definitely something that I wanted to. I know Katherine took really excellent notes so... definitely better than any of our memories so we can codify it all in an email and send it out and also plan out the next meeting objective and August 2nd or something, on a Friday. So yeah, plans for our future inter-branch cooperation, and I do want to talk about that.

BB: yeah, I was thinking maybe having like you said, have meetings with them. I know the distance thing can be a little complicated so I was wondering maybe we can have them Skype in-

DS: yeah

BB: have them Skype into our meetings and we could have an inter-branch meeting, give updates: like we give a report.

DS: yeah

BB: we could even add it to our agenda: Sarasota-manatee report, St. Pete report; and just so we keep that relationship strong and of course you know, do summits in the future, and then maybe do some training opportunities where we all work off of each other's strengths and weaknesses; especially in hearing cases.

DS: training is big. I think we should start doing joint trainings rather than just our own training and like that would definitely be great and if we ever wanted to do mock trial over here then that would give us the manpower to do it.

BB: yeah, exactly.

MK: oh, regarding Skype and them Skyping into us or we Skyping into them; I think it would be them Skyping to us. Would it be through court leadership meetings or would it be through general meetings? How would we do this?

BB: it could be for both. If their leadership wants to meet with our court leadership they could do that. And if their whole entire court wants to meet with our court during our general meetings then we can do that as well.

DS: yeah, I definitely like the idea of rotating summits throughout the three campuses; that would be excellent. And, I mean, I think twice a semester I want to meet minimum, in person with them; like the beginning and the middle, or end and middle; it doesn't really make a difference. Just so we can meet in person at least twice during the semester, ideally more. But you know, nothing substitutes for in-person meetings with them. And definitely once a month we meet on Skype just to keep in touch and see what's happening on those branches.

BB: and also just want to solidify that August 2nd date. I believe we were trying to get other members of student government to go up there-

DS: yeah

BB: and Shaheen, you're more than welcome to go as well if you want over there. We're trying to plan a meeting where all the heads of each branch meet with other branches of student government at USF and-

DS: do you know if they have the solicitor general?

BB: I don't think they do; so maybe you can talk with their student body president or exec and tell them what we do and see if they like it.

DS: if they get the PATS appeal then they're going to need a solicitor general.

SN: yeah, I think that, I think that if anything that perhaps not, perhaps it'll just serve as another, if they're trying to get the PATS, you know, if they don't have that yet then it might serve as a bit of way to call that they do need that; that they do need a solicitor general. And it might get them to think on their feet a bit more, you know, like what other changes would be necessary for branch.

DS: yeah, definitely. It's a great opportunity to establish a position; what we're doing with their branch.

SN: please keep me in the loop

(inaudible)

BB: and I'll contact the UCGA, senator Coco, because he's the one who wanted to get his heads of branch, from his branch, to this meeting and solidify when and where this is going to happen.

DS: Yeah, I'd definitely like to bring senate in on this if possible. Okay, so we have nothing else about the branch summit; it's definitely a great idea, great execution, and sounds like results are quite good. Alright, so we want to move into the parking video. So I know that's been making good process, from what we've filmed.

DG: yeah, I'm actually in the final stages of production; all I really have to do is add a couple of like little special effects (inaudible) cause the thing is that I'm trying to make it stoic, yet light and cheerful, so people are paying attention but it's not just going to be like so bland that they're going to want to drear off into their own thoughts. On top of that, I need to add text, so I think I'll be done by Friday.

(inaudible)

SN: is it going to be available on the YouTube as well?

DG: yeah, I just need to do that, do you guys have like your own YouTube channel?

BB: no, what I think-

SN: which may not be a bad idea

BB: but I think marketing last time, he sent me a private YouTube link from the SG

DG: oh yeah yeah

BB: from the SG YouTube account. Just make it private so we look at it. Yeah PATS has to be approved so, once it's done send it to us so we look at it and then we'll show it to PATS to see if they approve of it.

DG: alright, sounds good.

*University of South Florida Government
Supreme Court 2013-2014*

DS: alright, good. This has definitely moved along with great efficiency. Thank Dan for that. It's been a very efficient process here. Alright, so is there anything else about parking video? Okay, is there a motion to move out of new business and into announcements?

MK: so moved

DS: any objections? Does anyone have any announcements?

BB: yeah, the-spread the word about the associate justice position that is open still, and I just got word from President Warmke that the Chief Justice position is open so I plan on filling the application out. And that's all I have to announce.

DS: alright, thank you. Any other announcements? Alright, is there a motion to move out of announcements and into adjournment?

SH: so moved

DS: any objections? Seeing none, this meeting is adjourned at 5:23 pm.